Monday, May 18, 2009

Brief Team Tournament Predictions

Starting with the quarterfinals...

In the bottom half I think there will most likely be be two fairly lopsided quarterfinals. I would be very surprised if Cruz doesn't sweep the doubles against Williams. We know the potential is there for the Ephs but they've shown their true selves probably twice this season. Cruz should take at worst a 2-1 lead going into singles. I like Cruz at 1,2,3 and 5 to finish the match. I think Williams potential is probably 3 wins in this, I'd give them almost a 0% shot at winning. I'm predicting a 5-0 for Cruz though with a doubles sweep and two routine singles wins. Williams may be up in a match or two but won't have time to finish. This hasn't been the greatest season for the Ephs. Moving on, I see 5 spots where Kenyon could beat Emory. That 2 and 3 doubles as well as 1, 5 and 6 singles. If Egan plays, Emory should win 4. I think Kenyon needs to win all of those spots to have a chance in this match. If Emory is able to take 2 of the doubles, it's pretty much over because they have automatics at 2 and 3 singles. Brody really needs to step up tomorrow for Kenyon to have a chance and win both of his matches.

In the top half, I think Gustavus could keep things competitive. They need to win 1 of the doubles and I think they can extend the match for a while. They should be able to compete with Wash U at 1 through 3 as well as 6 singles. Hoeland has been shaky lately. Stein and Levy should run through their opponents quickly. I think Gustavus will manage to get a doubles win, I'm calling 5-1 for Wash U and Watts and Kauss may not even finish their first set. Amherst-Midd is obviously the best match of the day. I'm not going to start making predictions for this because everyone knows they are worthless. Could go either way but I'll pick Midd 5-3 with at least 3 3-setters.

Semifinal talk tomorrow night...