Thursday, February 18, 2010

National Indoors Preview: #3 Wash U vs. #6 Johns Hopkins

Definitely the best first round match and I think this could end up being one of the best first rounds in history when we look back on the season and the accomplishments of both teams. I am less impressed with the Bears than I was in pre-season after they struggled with Chicago. Hopkins has yet to play a match so I consider this a disadvantage. I thought Hopkins was going to change their doubles teams for the spring, but it seems that isn't the case. I'm taking Woods and Stein at #1 for Wash U, and I think Barnaby/Blythe will beat Farah/Watts at #2 doubles, but this could be a big swing match. I'm shocked that Hopkins decided to remove Elgort/Hersh from the 3 spot and instead have two doubles players there. Wash U looked very weak at #3 doubles and I consider this a huge swing spot as well. I'm going to give the edge to Hopkins, but it could go either way. Watts will win for sure at #1 singles and I like Wang over Stein at #2 singles. I'll take Elgort over Putterman at #3 singles as well giving Hopkins a 4-2 lead. Wods will use his experience to get a win at #4 to keep Wash U in it and I would also be surprised if Levy doesn't come through for Wash U at #6 singles. This leaves things at 4-4 with #5 singles left and I know it's biased but I always pick against the freshman in the case so I'll take Grist to win it for Hopkins 5-4 in an upset.