Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cal Lutheran Kingsmen

Nick Ballou, CLU

I know that Cal Lu expected a lot out of themselves this season, but I don't know if they expected to start with a 9 match winning streak including a 7-2 win over the defending national runner-up. It is clear to me that on their home courts, they are one of the best teams in the country, if not the best. I have doubted them all season but they have come through every time. What I like is that they are getting contributions everywhere. Right now I think Giuffrida could be considered the 5th or 6th best player in the country in singles and if you count doubles, he could be considered the overall best player. But it's not all about him, their bottom guys are coming up huge as well. I expected Kahan and Waterman to get easy wins yesterday and the opposite happened. I see the makings of a great team here when everyone steps up. They've even been down twice after doubles and managed to cruise in singles.

This Saturday they will face their biggest challenge yet. They've made a believer out of me if they are playing in Thousand Oaks. But can they beat Cruz on the road? I know you are reading Kingsmen so consider this a challenge. Prove to everyone that you can win away from home and you will be #1 in the country. The important thing to remember is that if Cruz wins Saturday, the road to the Final 8 won't be going through Thousand Oaks, it will be going through Santa Cruz or Claremont. To be the best, teams have to prove that they can win anywhere, not just at home. If you asked me about the March 20th schedule a month ago, this match may have been the least interesting to me. But with both teams having great results so far this season and being undefeated in D3 play, I think this is arguably the biggest regular season match to date.