Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cal Lutheran @ UC Santa Cruz Preview

Erich Koenig, Santa Cruz

This one has the makings of a classic and every time Cruz steps on the court, they are putting their #1 ranking on the line. CLU should be 10-0 heading into this match with most of those wins over ranked D3 teams. These are probably the two most confident teams in the country given their undefeated records in D3 play. CLU has been playing high quality tennis and Cruz really stepped up their play during the finals of Indoors after not looking all that impressive the first two rounds. The x factor in this match is how much of a factor will the Slugs home court advantage play. We have two undefeated #1 doubles teams squaring off and this will definitely be a close one. I'm going to give the nod to Cruz at 1st dubs and 2nd dubs and I would expect CLU to win at 3rd dubs. Cruz has the potential to take a 3-0 lead but I don't think it will happen. I don't know if I would say CLU has that same firepower. In 9 matches, CLU is 27-0 at the top 3 spots. That's some unbelievable play by those guys. Cruz's strength is also the top of the lineup so I expect 3 great matches. I'll go with Giuffrida at 1 and Ballou at 2, but I think Cruz could take 3. I would be shocked if CLU wins the top 3 spots. They will definitely win the match if this happens. The bottom is a real coinflip, CLU has an edge at 6 and Cruz has an edge at 5 so I think this match could come down to #4 singles. Great matches throughout the lineup and I'm really looking forward to this. I won't be predicting a winner because I just don't know.